Blue School is an innovative and integrated concept developed by International Rainwater Harvesting Alliance (IRHA) since 2005, with the aim of improving the health of children at school through access to drinking water, sanitation facilities, hygiene practices and resources management.
The components of a Blue School
● Sustainable access to drinking water
● Sustainable access to sanitary facilities in compliance with good hygiene practices
● A school gardan used as a practical place for learning suitable cultivation practices
● A place dedicated to learn about natural resources management and to understand watershed level interactions (reforestation and land management activities)
Altogether 9 Blue Schools have been implemented by Kanchan Nepal and IRHA since 2011. Kalika Higher Secondary School is a new Blue School added to the list.
- Jateshwor Secondary School (2011/12)
- Shivalaya Higher Secondary School (2011/12)
- Ramkot Higher Secondary School (2011/12)
- Arunodaya Lower Secondary School (2011/12)
- Ananda Jyoti Higher Secondary School (2015/16)
- Bishwoshanti Higher Secondary School (2016/17)
- Indrayani Lower Secondary School (2016/17)
- Vijaya Basic School (2018/19)
- Kalika Higher Secondary School (2019/20)
The first two Blue Schools; Jateshwor and Shivalaya are from Thumki VDC (Village Development Committee) and later two Blue Schools; Ramkot and Arunodaya are located in Hansapur VDC (now these VDCs come under Rupa Rural Municipality). These Blue Schools were selected as per preliminary assessment done by Kanchan Nepal (KN). The VDCs were at the bottom level of development index among other VDCs in the eastern part of Kaski district where accessibility of water and sanitation in community was very low. Not only in the sector of water and sanitation but also other development aspects for these VDCs were retarded ones. Meantime having this Blue Schools Plus programme in these VDCs was breakthrough that brought charm and enthusiasm in community and children at their schools.
One of the activity “A child, a tree and a school, a garden “ is an initiative of Blue School that has sparked interest and enthusiasm among the students and teachers. It was an opportunity where present and future generation were in touch with plants, trees , environment and the nature. This brought responsibility in students to take care of their environment and protect the nature. Having the Rainwater Harvesting Systems in the schools, the students and community realised the benefits of Rainwater Harvesting and value the Rainwater.
Indrayani Blue School
Bijaya Blue School
Ramkot Blue School
Shivalaya Blue School
Kalika Blue School